It stars Gillian Anderson, Asa Butterfield, Emma Mackey, Ncuti Gatwa, Connor Swindells, as well as likewise Kedar Williams-Stirling. In February 2019, it was exposed that the collection had in fact been recovered temporarily duration, which premiered on January 17, 2020, a third duration was recently confirmed.
The really initial duration complies with the story of Otis Milburn, a socially undesirable young person, that is ambivalent relating to sex, because of the truth that his mama is a sex expert that is sincere relating to all components of sexuality. After unintentionally helping the university bully with his nervousness relating to sex-related effectiveness, Otis creates a sex-related treatment firm with Maeve, a relying on yet troubled classmate, to notify his classmates on specifically just how to handle their really own sex-related difficulties.
The second duration complies with Otis that, after inevitably securing a link with Ola, is struck with the fact as well as likewise stress and anxiety of a secondary school love. That love is furthermore reviewed with the introduction of new students examining the problem at Moordale High as well as likewise an episode of chlamydia that produces students to query as well as likewise battle with existing issues.
- Asa Butterfield as Otis Milburn, an unpleasant young person that battles with his mama's occupation as well as likewise his disruption in her private as well as likewise sex-related life.
- Gillian Anderson as Dr. Jean F. Milburn, a well-known sex therapist and likewise the mother of Otis. She is divorced as well as also regularly has overnight relationships, but is not engaged.
- Ncuti Gatwa as Eric Effiong, Otis's best friend. He is openly gay as well as comes from an African religious family.
- Emma Mackey as Maeve Wiley, a social outcast and a bad girl who eventually befriends Otis and starts therapy clinic with him.
- Connor Swindells as Adam Groff, the son of the director who harasses Eric. He has a strained relationship with his father.
- Kedar Williams-Stirling as Jackson Marchetti, a Moordale High School student, and swimming champion. He asks Otis to help Maeve become his girlfriend.
- Alistair Petrie as Michael Groff, principal of Moordale High School and strict father of Adam.
- Mimi Keene as Ruby, one of the popular and mean girls at Moordale High School. Ruby is in trouble when a nude image of her is leaked.
- Aimee Lou Wood as Aimee Gibbs, another of the popular high school girls, likewise has a friendship with Maeve.
- Chaneil Kular as Anwar, the leader of the popular group “The Untouchables” and the only other openly gay student at school other than Eric.
- Simone Ashley as Olivia, another member of “The Untouchables”.
- Tanya Reynolds as Lily Iglehart, a girl who writes alien erotic novels, and is determined to lose her virginity as soon as possible.
- Mikael Persbrandt as Jakob Nyman, a widowed Swedish plumber and Ola's father who develops a relationship with Jean after working for her.
- Patricia Allison as Ola Nyman, Jakob's daughter who befriends Otis, for whom she later develops feelings.
- James Purefoy as Remi Milburn, Otis's father, and Jean's ex-husband who lives in America.
- Sami Outalbali as Rahim, a student transferred from France, shows interest in Eric (season 2).
- Chinenye Ezeudu as Viv, Jackson's tutor and member of “Los celebrities” (season 2).
- Anne-Marie Duff as Erin Wiley, the absent mom of Maeve and also Sean, reappears to make amends for her mistakes (season 2).
- George Robinson as Isaac, a boy with functional diversity who lives in the same parking lot as Maeve (season 2).
- Jim Howick as Mr. Hendricks, a science teacher at Moordale High School who also runs a band in high school.
- DeObia Oparei as Mr. Effiong, Eric's father who expresses his concern over his son's extravagance and clothing choices and the fear that they will end up hurting him.
- Rakhee Thakrar as Miss Sands, English teacher at Moordale High School. She supports Maeve and recognizes her talent and intelligence.
- Lisa Palfrey as Cynthia, the owner of the trailer park where Maeve lives. She is having marriage problems with her husband, Jeffrey.
- Samantha Spiro as Maureen Groff, the director's wife, and Adam's mommy. She is a loving wife as well as mother and loves her dog.
- Hannah Waddingham as Sofía Marchetti, one of Jackson's mothers. She pushes Jackson to maintain a strict training regimen.
- Jojo Macari as Kyle, one of Aimee's boyfriends.
- Joe Wilkinson as Jeffrey, Cynthia's husband.
- Chris Jenks as Steve, a new high school student and member of “The Brains.”
- Sharon Duncan-Brewster as Roz Marchetti, one of Jackson's mothers. She is more relaxed.
- Edward Bluemel as Sean Wiley, Maeve's absent and troubled older brother who raised her instead of her parents.
- Dan Mersh as Harry, one of Jean's One Night Adventures.
- Lily Newmark as Ruthie, a lesbian who has relationship problems.
- Alice Hewkin as Tanya, Ruthie's dominant girlfriend.
- Max Boast as Tom Baker, a geek student at Mooredale who has recently become sexually active.
- Daniel Ings as Dan, one of Jean's One Night Adventures.
- Doreene Blackstock as Mrs. Effiong, Eric's mother who encourages him to attend church like the rest of the family.
- Kadeem Ramsay as OctoBoy, a student who hooks up with Lily after the school dance.
- Lino Facioli as Dex, geek student and member of the team “Los celebrities” (season 2).
- T'Nia Miller as Maxine, School Authority (Season 2).
- George Somner as Joe, Isaac's brother, both live in the same parking lot as Maeve (season 2).
- George Georgiou as Yousef, owner of the local store (season 2).
- Toby Williams as Tim, one of Jean's patients.
- Lu Corfield as Sarah, a mother of three who befriends Maeve.
- Ezra Furman as the band's singer performs at the school dance.
- Thomas Atkinson as Nick, Anwar's boyfriend.
- Stephen Fry as himself, the host of the quiz competition.
The setting for the series appears to be modern Britain, in the fictional town of Moordale. Modern technology, such as smartphones, exists, yet the show features very few cars from after the 1990s, with a majority of cars ranging from the 1970s to the 1990s. Police cars seen during the Season 2 finale seemed to follow 90s aesthetics rather than modern police cars. In addition to older cars, the show features heavily older technologies such as CRT televisions and likewise outdated appliances. The decoration of the Groffs' house is reminiscent of the popular decoration of the 70s; Maeve's caravan is typical of the 1990s and also also the 2000s; and also also the Milburns' house has a more modern decor. Moordale High School also displays some elements of British high schools, in addition to having a more American high school image. These elements serve to locate sex education in an uncertain period and also likewise location.
The series received a positive response from critics at its premiere. On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the series has actually actually an approval rating of 91% with an average rating of 8.36 out of 10 based on 57 reviews. The site's essential agreement claims: “Sex Education is a noisy game through a group of teenagers whose sexual misadventures are so carefully interpreted, adults could learn one or two things from them.” Metacritic, which utilizes a heavy average. , appointed the collection a rating of 81 out of 100 according to 16 unbelievers, revealing “universal acclaim”.