13 Reasons Why (elegant onscreen as TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY) is an American teenager dramatization internet tv collection established at first for Netflix as restricted collection by Brian Yorkey, based upon the 2007 book Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. The collection focuses on seventeen-year-old secondary school pupil Clay Jensen as well as his dead close friend Hannah Baker, that takes her very own life after needing to encounter a society of chatter, harassing as well as sexual offense at her secondary school as well as an absence of assistance from her close friends, her household as well as her institution. A box of cassette tapes tape-recorded by Hannah in the weeks preceding her self-destruction information why she picked to finish her life. The collection is created by July Moon Productions, Kicked to the Curb Productions, Anonymous Content as well as Paramount Television, with Yorkey as well as Diana Son acting as showrunners.
Dylan Minnette stars as Clay Jensen, while Katherine Langford plays Hannah Baker. Christian Navarro, Alisha Boe, Brandon Flynn, Justin Prentice, Miles Heizer, Ross Butler, Devin Druid, Amy Hargreaves, Derek Luke, Kate Walsh, as well as Brian d'Arcy James additionally celebrity. A movie from Universal Pictures based upon Thirteen Reasons Why started advancement in February 2011, with Selena Gomez readied to star as Hannah, prior to being shelved in favour of a tv collection as well as Netflix buying an adjustment as a restricted collection in October 2015, with Gomez rather acting as an exec manufacturer.
In period one, seventeen-year-old Clay Jensen returns residence from institution someday to locate a strange box on his patio. Inside he finds thirteen cassette tapes tape-recorded by Hannah Baker, his dead schoolmate that eliminated herself 2 weeks previously. On the tapes, Hannah unravels an extremely psychological sound journal, outlining why she determined to finish her life. It shows up everyone that obtains this plan of old-style tapes is basically pertaining to why she eliminated herself. Clay is not the very first to obtain the recordings, however there is a ramification that he must pass the tapes on after hearing them. There seems an order to circulation of the documents, with an added duplicate held by a movie director needs to the strategy go awry. Each tape recording describes a various individual associated with Hannah's life, adding to a factor for her self-destruction (primarily connecting to both her close friends as well as opponents
- Dylan Minnette as Clay Jensen, a close friend of Hannah who becomes obsessed with finding out what happened to her
- Katherine Langford as Hannah Baker (seasons 1–2), a teenager whose suicide as well as recorded audio cassettes spark the events of the series
- Christian Navarro as Tony Padilla, Clay's best friend at Liberty High that tries to help him deal with Hannah's death
- Alisha Boe as Jessica Davis, a student who starts attending Liberty High at the same time as Hannah
- Brandon Flynn as Justin Foley, a student at Liberty High who comes from an abusive family and is in a relationship with Jessica. He is responsible for setting the events of the series into motion by being the first person to humiliate Hannah after their first date. At the end of season two, Justin is adopted by Clay's parents and now lives with Clay as his brother.
- Justin Prentice as Bryce Walker, a student from a wealthy family and the captain of the football team and pitcher on the baseball team at Liberty High. He is a notorious serial rapist, known to rape unconscious girls and also assaulted Hannah in his hot tub. He is murdered between periods 2 and 3; his killer's identity and motive being the season's central conflict.
- Miles Heizer as Alex Standall, a student at Liberty High, the ex-boyfriend of Jessica and a former friend of Hannah
- Ross Butler as Zach Dempsey, a kindhearted friend of Justin and Bryce at Liberty High
- Devin Druid as Tyler Down, a bullied student at Liberty High and an avid photographer
- Amy Hargreaves as Lainie Jensen, Clay's attorney mother
- Derek Luke as Kevin Porter (seasons 1–2; guest season 3), a guidance counsellor at Liberty High
- Kate Walsh as Olivia Baker (seasons 1–2; guest season 3), Hannah's mother and Andy's wife, who is determined to uncover the truth about the events leading to her daughter's self-destruction
- Brian d'Arcy James as Andy Baker (season 2; recurring season 1), Hannah's father as well as Olivia's husband
- Grace Saif as Ani Achola (season 3), a new student at Liberty High, that has an unknown prior criminal history and is close to Clay and Jessica
- Brenda Strong as Nora Walker (season 3; recurring season 2), Bryce's mother
- Timothy Granaderos as Monty de la Cruz (season 3; recurring seasons 1–2), a bully who is a trainee at Liberty High