Birds of Prey (and The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)
Margot Robbie has revealed the full title of her Harley Quinn spin-off.
Robbie has shared on Instagram the title page of Christina Hodson's script for Birds of Prey, which includes a handwritten addition, revealing that the name is Birds of Prey (and the fantastic emancipation of One Harley Quinn). The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that this is the official title and not only the star that has fun commenting on the 2014 Oscar-winning film by Michael Keaton, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance).
Robbie played Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad of 2016, and the spin-off is described as a movie that brings together a gang of friends to face a bad boy. Ewan McGregor plays the villain of Batman Black Mask in the film, and Robbie's other co-stars include Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress, Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Black Canary, Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya and Ella Jay Basco as Cassandra Cain. Cathy Yan is directing the ensemble.
Although not titled as such, the emancipation of the Harley Quinn comic was a favorite element of fans of the popular DC series Harley Quinn in 2016; In number 25 of the series, Harley finally ended his relationship with the Joker forever when he confronts him after years of difference. “I hate you for what you bring in me,” he says as the two fight. “I am no longer a toy. Understand ? You did half a bit TA once, but that time is over. ”The development came after the series established that the romance between the two was abusive, and removing the Joker from Harley's life was a very late moment. It certainly didn't hurt him, since the character continued to grow in popularity after that point.
Sue Kroll is producing through her Kroll & Co Entertainment banner, along with Robbie and LuckyChap Entertainment and Bryan Unkeless' Clubhouse Pictures.
Warner Bros.' Birds of Prey (and The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) will fly to theaters on February 7, 2020.
- Margot Robbie as Harleen Quinzel / Harley Quinn: a former psychiatrist who became a crazy and complicit criminal and girlfriend of Joker, but since then broke up with him and became a solo vigilante. She is part of the Suicide Squad. Screenwriter Christina Hodson sought to reinvent Harley, wanting to expand the character after her departure from the Joker. Hodson called Harley the character he most liked to develop due to his unpredictable personality.
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Helena Bertinelli / Huntress: a vigilante who is the orphaned daughter of the gangster of the Mafia union, Franco Bertinelli. Ella Mika portrays a young Helena Bertinelli, during flashback scenes.
- Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Dinah Laurel Lance / Black Canary: A vigilante with the metahuman ability of hypersonic screams, who is also a singer in a club that owns Sionis.
- Rosie Pérez as Renee Montoya: A Gotham City police detective, who is building a case against Sionis.
- Chris Messina as Victor Zsasz: an insane serial killer and henchman of Sionis who carves a mark on his skin for every victim he claims.
- Ella Jay Basco as Cassandra Cain: a young woman who has a murder contract that Sionis imposed on her head, after she steals a valuable diamond.
- Ali Wong
- Ewan McGregor as Roman Sionis / Black Mask: a brutal and fierce crime lord who threatens Cassandra. McGregor described the character as “an absolute narcissist.”
- In addition, Charlene Amoia and Paul Lasa portray María and Franco Bertinelli, Helena's mother and father, respectively. Talon Reid portrays one of Black Mask's henchmen. Steven Williams, Derek Wilson, Dana Lee, François Chau, Matt Willig and Robert Catrini have been chosen in undisclosed roles.