It is created, made up by, as well as likewise stars Sharon Horgan as well as likewise Rob Delaney, that stand for singular individuals that end up being a set after she all of a sudden conceives sticking to a fling while he is mosting likely to London on a company trip. Carrie Fisher, Ashley Jensen as well as likewise Mark Bonnar play maintaining personalities in the collection.
The program was restored briefly collection in January 2015 as well as likewise started passing on from 27 October 2015, having in fact been progressed from its preliminary routine of very early 2016. In July 2016, Catastrophe was brought back for a third as well as likewise fourth series. The third series, which began broadcasting in the UK on 28 February 2017, comprises 6 episodes — which all became available in the United States on 28 April 2017, hosted by Amazon. The Fourth as well as final collection of the show began broadcasting on 8 January 2019; premiering on March 15, 2019, in the US.
For her performance in the show, Sharon Horgan was nominated for a BAFTA Award for Best Female Comedy Performance in 2016. Both Horgan and Delaney won the BAFTA TV Award for Best Writer: Comedy. The show was nominated for a Peabody Award. In July 2016, the show received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Writing For a Comedy Series for Horgan and Delaney.
Irish primary school teacher Sharon is single and lives in London. She meets single American advertising executive Rob in a bar whilst he is visiting London on a business trip. They have a six-day fling and he returns to his home town, Boston. She discovers that she is pregnant by him. After she informs him of that, he moves to London and they become a couple. They marry shortly before she gives birth to their son. They later have a daughter.
- Sharon Horgan as Sharon Morris
- Rob Delaney as Rob Norris
- Ashley Jensen as Fran, Sharon's frenemy
- Mark Bonnar as Chris, Fran's husband
- Carrie Fisher as Mia Norris, Rob's mother (collection 1–3)
- Frances Tomelty as Carol Morris, Sharon's mother
- Gary Lilburn as Des Morris, Sharon's father (collection 1–3)
- Jonathan Forbes as Fergal Morris, Sharon's brother
- Daniel Lapaine as Dave, Rob's friend
- Eileen Walsh as Kate, Sharon's friend.
- Tobias Menzies as Dr. Harries
- Sarah Niles as Melissa Niles, Sharon's co-worker
- Marta Barrio as Mallandra, Fergal's wife
- Seeta Indrani as Harita
- Emmanuelle Bouaziz as Olivia
- Amanda Hale as Catherine, Dave's girlfriend
- Lauren Socha as Anna
- Kai Alexander as Jeffrey, Fran & Chris's son (series 3-4)
- Michaela Watkins as Sydney Norris, Rob's sister (series 4)
The series was officially commissioned by Channel 4 in May 2014 after a successful pilot the previous year. The BBC had previously turned down the series after reading the script.
The catastrophe was named after the following quotation from the movie Zorba the Greek. “I'm a man, so I married. Wife, children, house, everything. The full catastrophe.”
The original theme for the series, “Catastrophe Theme”, was composed by Oli Julian.
On 28 January 2015, the show was renewed for a second series, which aired in October 2015. Jay Hunt, Channel 4's chief creative officer, said: “Catastrophe is a real comedy gem. Sharon and Rob have done a magnificent job and we're already looking forward to series two”.
Carrie Fisher, who plays Mia, died on 27 December 2016 shortly after the filming of series 3 of Catastrophe had concluded. This would turn out to be her final TV role. The final episode of series 3 is dedicated to her, with the simple words “For Carrie” appearing on-screen alongside a photograph of Fisher following the credits.
Series 4 was filmed in 2018 and also was the collection' last.