The collection acquired beneficial evaluations, with an admiration for the efficiencies, particularly from Lillis as well as additionally Oleff.
- Sophia Lillis as Sydney “Syd” Novak, a 17-year-old woman that starts acknowledging she has telekinetic powers
- Wyatt Oleff as Stanley “Stan” Barber, Sydney's next-door neighbor as well as additionally a good friend
- Sofia Bryant as Dina, Sydney's good friend on whom Sydney has a crush
- Kathleen Rose Perkins as Maggie Novak, Sydney's widowed mother
- Richard Ellis as Bradley “Brad” Lewis, Dina's jock sweetie whom Sydney displeasure
- David Theune as Mr. File, the high school clinical study trainer
- Zachary S. Williams as Ricky Berry, specific as well as additionally monied jock. Brad's best friend
- Aidan Wojtak-Hissong as Liam Novak, Sydney's younger brother
- Photographs of Alex Lawther and additionally Jessica Barden are briefly used to represent their respectively portrayed characters James as well as also Alyssa from The End of the F***ing World (2017–2019), the events of which are intended to be taking place simultaneously with those of I Am Not Okay With This.
On December 12, 2018, it was announced that Netflix had given the production a series order for an eight-episode first season, of which only seven were produced. The series was created by Jonathan Entwistle as well as Christy Hall, who are credited as executive producers alongside Shawn Levy, Dan Levine, Dan Cohen, and Josh Barry. Entwistle additionally directed the series. The series was released on February 26, 2020.
Alongside the series announcement, it was announced that Sophia Lillis, Sofia Bryant, Wyatt Oleff, and Kathleen Rose Perkins would star in the series, with Aidan Wojtak-Hissong and Richard Ellis recurring in the series.
Filming commenced in Pittsburgh in June 2019. The town of Brownsville, Pennsylvania served as a primary location, while Wilmerding's Westinghouse Arts Academy Charter School was made use of as the high school exterior.
On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the collection has an 86% approval rating with 65 reviews, with an average rating of 6.82/10. The website's critical consensus reads, “As awkward and charming as adolescence, but with twice the supernatural twists, I Am Not Okay With This' first season at times veers into the shallow territory, but Sophia Lillis' strong performance keeps it afloat.”Review aggregator Metacritic gave the collection a score of 68 out of 100 based upon 16 unbelievers, showing “generally favourable reviews”.