The collection adheres to a group of human gamers looking to beat the god of computer game at a collection of parlor game in order to lay hold of the god's throne.
It is released under the MF Bunko J imprint with 10 tales introduced in between April 25, 2012, in addition to January 25, 2018. The writer in addition to his companion, Mashiro Hiiragi, readjusted the tales right into a manga collection for Monthly Comic Alive in 2013. Later that year, an anime modification of No Game No Life by Madhouse was revealed. It premiered on AT-X in between April in addition to July 2014, in addition to was simulcast outside Japan by Crunchyroll. An anime motion picture adjustment of the sixth amount, No Game, No Life Zero, premiered on July 15, 2017. An descendant manga, No Game No Life, Please!, focusing on the individuality Izuna, varied from May 27, 2015, to November 27, 2017. The No Game No Life franchise business was neighborhood in North America by many company: Seven Seas Entertainment accredited the manga, Sentai Filmworks the anime, in addition to Yen Press the light special collection.
The collection adheres to Sora in addition to his more youthful family member Shiro, 2 hikikomori that make up the recognition of Blank, an unbeaten group of gamers. One day, they are examined by the god of computer game to chess in addition to gotten rid of. As a result, the god summons them to Disboard, a world where taking, fight, in addition to murder are limited, in addition to all concerns, are figured out with computer game, including nationwide borders in addition to additionally people' lives. Intent on protecting their on the internet credibility as the unbeaten gamers, Sora in addition to Shiro's technique to get rid of the sixteen judgment ranges in addition to to lay hold of the god of computer game.
The collection began getting recommendation in 2014 when it turned up in Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! as well as had its quantities put as one of the leading thirty marketing stories in Japan. It was reported in May 2017 that over 3 million published duplicates remain inflow. The English localization of the manga, as well as anime, we're additionally well gotten: the manga adjustment revealed up on The New York Times Manga Best Sellers; on the other hand, English customers were generally averted by the very first episode of the anime, though customers that have actually finished the collection typically applauded the personality characteristics, video game techniques, in addition to computer animation, while doing not like the follower solution including the underage Shiro.
Sora as well as Shiro are 2 hikikomori step-siblings that are understood in the on-line pc gaming globe as Blank, an unbeaten team of players. One day, they are tested to a video game of chess by Tet, a god from one more truth. The 2 overcome as well as are provided to residents in a globe that focuses on video games. They approve, thinking it to be a joke, as well as are mobilized to a truth referred to as Disboard.[Jp. 1] There, a spell referred to as the Ten Pledges stops the residents of Disboard from causing damage to each other, compelling them to fix their distinctions by betting with video games whose policies as well as benefits are magically enforced. In-game, rule enforcement only occurs when the method of cheating is acknowledged as well as out by the opponent, allowing players to cheat through discreet methods. Sora and Shiro traverse to Elkia,[Jp. 2] the nation inhabited by humans, and befriend the duchess Stephanie Dola. Learning about Elkia's decline, the two participate in a tournament to determine the next ruler; after winning the crown, they earn the right to challenge the Disboard's other species as humanity's representative.LN 1.4 Their next goal is to conquer all sixteen species in order to challenge Tet to a video game; as of the sixth volume, five of the sixteen are under their control.
- Sora (空) and Shiro (白)
- Sora is an eighteen-year-old male who excels at strategies and cold readings while his eleven-year-old stepsister, Shiro, excels at calculations and logic.LN 3.0 Together, the two form the undefeated gaming identity Blank (空白, Kūhaku, stylized as『 』) due to their trademark of using just spaces as their in-game names. After their parents died, the two no longer had emotional ties to society as well as eventually became agoraphobic and hikikomori.LN 1.0 When the two are separated from each other, they begin to suffer panic attacks.LN 1.1 After Sora and Shiro are summoned to Disboard, they decide to uphold their undefeated reputation as Blank by defeating Tet. Sora is voiced by Yoshitsugu Matsuoka and Shiro by Ai Kayano. In Sentai Filmworks' English localization, Sora and Shiro are dubbed by Scott Gibbs and Caitlynn French respectively. A 2014 poll by Charapedia ranked Shiro and Sora as two of the most intelligent anime characters of all time.
- Stephanie Dola (ステファニー・ドーラ, Sutefanī Dōra)
- Stephanie is a teenage girl and granddaughter to the previous king of Elkia, the nation inhabited by humans. She has a lot of explicit knowledge but lacks the intuition to win games.LN 2.1 Her grandfather was infamously known for losing games and giving up Elkia's land. As a result, Stephanie strives to restore the honour of her grandfather and humanity. When Sora and Shiro are crowned, she becomes their assistant and deals with Elkia's economics and politics. They discover her grandfather kept hidden records on the other species which becomes an asset to their victories; LN 2.3 her experience with Sora and Shiro improves her skill to the point that she can win against normal humans.LN 4.1 She is voiced by Yōko Hikasa and English dubbed by Sara Ornelas.
- Jibril (ジブリール, Jiburīru)
- Jibril is a flügel, a powerful angelic race known for their ruthlessness.LN 2.1 Jibril is over 6000-years old and is the youngest and most powerful of her species.LN 5.2 She won Elkia's library from Stephanie's grandfather in order to store her books and use them as a home.LN 2.2 After losing to Sora and Shiro in a game of Shiritori, she becomes their slave but is treated as an equal.LN 2.2 She often provides magic or transportation necessities for the protagonists. Later on, she begins publishing novels based on Sora and Shiro which makes them famous among the flügels.LN 5.1 She is voiced by Yukari Tamura and English dubbed by Amelia Fischer.
- The warbeasts are kemonomimis with high physical abilities; their nation is known as the Eastern Federation. They are ruled by a nameless Miko, a logical woman who helped the Eastern Federation flourish for the past fifty years.LN 3.4 She possesses a rare ability called Blood Destruction which augments her physical abilities by taxing her body. She allies herself with Sora and Shiro who promises benefits for humanity and warbeasts.LN 3.4 She is voiced by Naomi Shindo and English dubbed by Suzelle Palacios.
- Meanwhile, the warbeast embassy in Elkia is represented by Izuna Hatsuse (初瀬 いづな, Hatsuse Izuna), an eight-year-old child and ambassador of the warbeast.LN 2.4 She has a childlike demeanor and uses the copula desu, but also possesses high intellect and Blood Destruction.LN 3.3 Following the alliance between humans and warbeasts, she is a constant companion to Sora and Shiro whom she adores and trusts. She is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro and English dubbed by Kira Vincent-Davis. Alongside her is her grandfather, Ino Hatsuse (初瀬 いの, Hatsuse Ino).LN 2.4 He believes Sora has selfish ulterior motives and dislikes him. After the alliance between humans and warbeasts, he works alongside Stephanie to formalize the union.LN 4.1 He is voiced by Mugihito and English dubbed by John Swasey.
- Kurami Zell (クラミー・ツェル, Kuramī Tseru) and Fil Nilvalen (フィール・ニルヴァレン, Fīru Niruvaren)
- Kurami is an eighteen-year-old girl and considered the slave of the elf Fil. Though Kurami's family were the Nilvalen family's slaves for generations, her relationship with Fil is similar to daughter and mother.LN 3.2 Meanwhile, Fil is considered a failure of a magician but is secretly highly skilled.LN 5.0 She is willing to betray Elven Garde, the nation inhabited by elves, for Kurami's sake; the two conspire to have Fil obtain a political position of power in order to abolish slavery.LN 3.2 Sora manages to convince Kurami to be his ally by sharing his memories with her.LN 3.1 Kurami is voiced by Yuka Iguchi and Fil by Mamiko Noto; they are English dubbed by Kara Greenberg and Christina Stroup respectively.
- Dhampirs and sirens
- Dhampirs are a species with similar characteristics to vampires: they drink body fluids from other species for nourishment; excel at transformation, illusion, and dream magic; and are weak to sunlight. Their weakness to sunlight can be spread through bites which deters the other species from sharing blood with them.LN 4.0 Meanwhile, sirens are an all female species with the body of a mermaid. They require the life of a male from another species in order to reproduce; their magic allows them to seduce anyone of their choosing. Both species live in a nation called Oceando. Centuries ago, the dhampirs and sirens used the Ten Pledges to create a mutualistic relationship between the two; the dhampirs were allowed to feed on the sirens and in return, a male dhampir is to mate with the siren's empress who can reproduce without killing. Eight hundred years prior, the empress went into hibernation and the mating rituals killed all but a single male dhampir.LN 4.1
- Plum (プラム, Puramu) is the last male dhampir and as a result, disguises himself as a female;LN 5.4 his magic skills are considered above average within his species.LN 5.2 After consuming Sora and Shiro's sweat, he becomes fond of their taste. He makes a deal with the sirens to lure Sora and Shiro in an attempt to have one of the two races enslave humanity. Sora and Shiro deduce his deception but decide to save both races regardless.LN 5.4 Since then, Sora and Shiro have Plum accompany them on their adventures.
- The empress of the sirens, Leila Lorelei (ライラ・ローレライ, Raira Rōrerai), used the Ten Pledges to place herself to sleep without revealing the requirements to wake her up. While she sleeps, Amira (アミラ) takes her place in leading the sirens.LN 4.2 Realizing the empress is a masochist who desires a la douleur exquise, Sora's immunity to the sirens' seduction magic allows him to awaken her.LN 5.4 Subsequently, the empress used Sora's hair to create a siren daughter.LN 5.5
- Other characters
- Tet (テト, Teto) is an old deus,[Jp. 10] a magical entity born from wishes and prayers. During the era when the sixteen species were at war with each other, a human named Riku Dola[Jp. 11] and his Ex Machina wife, Shuvi Dola, imagined the existence of a god of games; this resulted in Tet's birth. Due to Riku's efforts, Tet comes into possession of an object known as the Star Grail, permitting him to become the god of Disboard. Using its power, Tet cast the Ten Pledges on the world, ending the war in addition to making the world center around games.LN 6.5 He is voiced by Rie Kugimiya as well as English dubbed by Shannon Emerick.
- Azrael (アズリール, Azurīru) is the first flügel and their leader following the death of Artosh, the old deus who created them. Since then, Azrael has become despondent towards life and tries to give meaning to the flügel's existence to prevent their suicide.LN 5.2 She is able to converse with the flügel's homeland, a sentient floating island called Avant Heim which is part of a species called the phantasma.[Jp. 16]LN 5.1 Following her loss against Sora and Shiro, her powers are reduced to the levels of a human which gives her a new perspective on life.
On July 27, 2013, Monthly Comic Alive announced the anime adaptation for No Game No Life was green lit. It is directed by Atsuko Ishizuka and animated by Madhouse. The series premiered on April 9, 2014 on AT-X; it was later broadcast on five various various other broadcast stations and several streaming networks. The final episode premiered on June 25, 2014. Media Factory released the series in six DVD and Blu‑ray volumes between June 25 and November 26, 2014. The opening theme for the series was “This Game” by Konomi Suzuki and the ending theme is “Oracion” by Shiro's voice actress, Ai Kayano.
Crunchyroll simulcast No Game No Life and made it accessible to several regions. In North America, Anime Network broadcast the series on their cable network and made it available on their website, while Sentai Filmworks released the series for home media in July 2015. In the United Kingdom, MVM Entertainment licensed the series for distribution and in Australasia, Hanabee Entertainment licensed the series for its video on demand website. In France, the series was also simulcasted on Anime Digital Network and is broadcast on Viacom International Media Networks' J-one channel. In China, the series is made available on PPTV.
Yoshitsugu Matsuoka and Ai Kayano, the voice actors for Sora and Shiro respectively, hosted an internet radio show on Hibiki Radio called No Radio No Life. It was broadcast weekly between April 8 and July 29, 2014 and switched to a biweekly schedule since then. Twenty-six segments are planned and three CDs were released between July 2014 and February 2015. A special cross over featuring No Radio No Life and the radio series from Bladedance of Elementalers and Lord Marksman and Vanadis was broadcast by Hibiki Radio on January 1, 2015 and released on DVD on May 13.
An anime movie adaptation of the 6th light novel was announced on July 17, 2016 at the MF Bunko J Summer School Festival 2016 event. The film, titled No Game No Life: Zero, premiered on July 15, 2017, with the staff and cast from the anime series returning. Based on the sixth quantity of the light novel series, the story is set 6000 years before the events of the series, with most of the original cast portraying ancient characters related to their present counterparts. The theme song is “There is a Reason” by Konomi Suzuki. The song was included on the album “No Song No Life” on July 12, 2017. Sentai Filmworks released the film theatrically within the United States from October 5, 2017, as well as has in fact accredited the film for house video clip circulation. Madman Entertainment premiered the motion picture in Australia at the Madman Anime Festival in Melbourne on November 5, 2017.