Missing Link is a 2019 American stop-motion animated adventure film written and directed by Chris Butler. It is produced by Laika. It features the voices of Hugh Jackman, Zoe Saldana, David Walliams, Stephen Fry, Matt Lucas, Timothy Olyphant, Amrita Acharia, Ching Valdes-Aran, Emma Thompson, and Zach Galifianakis. The plot follows an English explorer who encounters a Sasquatch and must escort him to his Yeti cousins in the Himalayas.
Funny and gentle Mr. Link, the very last of his species, yearns for companionship and a place where he belongs. To help find his rumored cousins in the fabled Valley of Shangri-La, he recruits Lionel Frost, the “world’s greatest” sleuth of myths and monsters. Together with courageous adventurer Adelina Fortnight, they embark on a hilarious globe-trotting journey to find Link’s far-flung family.
- Zach Galifianakis as Mr. Susan Link, a self-conscious, gentle Bigfoot searching for his relatives.
- Hugh Jackman as Sir Lionel Frost, an ambitious and rash but well-meaning myths and monsters investigator.
- Zoe Saldana as Adelina Fortnight, a fiercely independent, plucky and conscientious adventurer, and Frost's former girlfriend.
- Stephen Fry as Lord Piggot-Dunceby, the arrogant, snobbish, insane head of the “Society of Great Men”, and Sir Lionel's rival.
- Timothy Olyphant as Willard Stenk, a bloodthirsty bounty hunter hired by Lord Piggot-Dunceby to stop Frost's quest.
- Emma Thompson as the Yeti Elder, the paranoid, secretive leader of the Yetis.
- Amrita Acharia as Ama Lahuma, a mountain guide who Frost and his companions meet and leads them to the Yeti temple.
- Matt Lucas as Mr. Collick, Lord Piggot-Dunceby's neurotic right-hand man.
- David Walliams as Lemuel Lint, Frost's former assistant.
- Ching Valdez-Aran as Gamu, Ama's grandmother and a Yak Herder.
- Humphrey Ker as Doorman, General Pugh
- Adam Godley as Lord Bilge
- Neil Dickson as Mr. Roylott
- Ian Ruskin as Lord Scrivener
- Matthew Wolf as Lord Ramsbottom
- Darren Richardson as Alfie
- Alan Shearman as Lord Entwhistle
- Jack Blessing as McVitie the Conductor.
- This film is Blessing's final film role, his voice role having been recorded before his death in 2017.
- Richard Miro as Ricard
Old Worlders voiced by Leila Birch, Jean Gilpin, Peter Lavin, Jimmy Hibbert, David Holt, Christopher Neame, Moira Quirk, Maebel Rayner, Alexander Rodriguez, Julian Stone, and Nick Toren.
New Worlders voiced by Kirk Baily, David Beron, William Calvert, David Cowgill, Kerry Gutierrez, Bridget Hoffman, Scott Menville, Erin Myles, Juan Pacheco, Paul Pape, André Sogliuzzo, and Scott Whyte. Himalayan villagers voiced by Phal Tong Lama, Yangchen Dolkar Gakyil, and Tharlam Dolma Wolfe. Stars Hugh Jackman, Zoe Saldana and Zach Galifianakis attended the premiere of Laika's latest movie, which has a much lighter tone than the studio's previous works like ‘Coraline.'
“It is a long, long, slow process,” Butler told The Hollywood Reporter about stop-motion on Sunday. “This one took about five years. Even before that, I was working on the script years before. The shooting itself takes about two years. So it’s long, it’s slow, but we all love it. “According to Arianne Sutner, one of the film's producers and Laika's head of production, the Missing Link team would often only end up with a single second of animation per week.
“I love a challenge. I love every movie that we’ve done and I’ve been here for all of them,” she said. “One is more challenging than the next, and sometimes you think you’re not sure what you’re going to do. But I’ve been working with an incredible crew, so it’s fun to figure out things that we think we’ll never be able to bring to the screen, together.”
Missing Link comes more than a decade after Laika's first feature, Coraline. The studio's other films have taken on Coraline's same kind of dark storytelling, but Missing Link — which follows investigator Sir Lionel Frost (Hugh Jackman), Sasquatch Mr. Link (Zach Galifianakis) and adventurer Adelina Fortnight (Zoe Saldana) as they set out to find Frost's long-lost relatives — is much more lighthearted.