The Grinch (additionally called Dr. Seuss' The Grinch) is a 2018 American computer-animated Christmas amusing movie produced by Illumination. Based on the overview How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss, it is the third display adjustment of the story, adhering to the television unique from 1966 starring Boris Karloff in addition to the live-action feature film from 2000 starring Jim Carrey. It marks Illumination's second Dr. Seuss film modification, adhering to Dr. Seuss' The Lorax.
The movie is guided by Yarrow Cheney and also Scott Mosier and also produced by Michael LeSieur in addition to Tommy Swerdlow. It stars the voices of Benedict Cumberbatch, Rashida Jones, Kenan Thompson, Cameron Seely, in addition to Angela Lansbury, and also is informed by Pharrell Williams. The tale complies with the Grinch as he means to ruin Whoville's Christmas event by taking all the community's decorations and also presents.
The Grinch was released and also distributed by Universal Pictures in the United States on November 9, 2018, in RealD 3D, IMAX, IMAX 3D, Dolby Cinema, and 4DX theaters. It grossed over $511 million worldwide, becoming the highest-grossing holiday film of all-time, as well as the highest-grossing Dr. Seuss film adaptation. It received mixed reviews from critics, who praised the animation and the vocal performances (particularly Cumberbatch's), but felt the film added little or nothing new to the source material. It is the final Dr. Seuss film adaptation launched during the lifetime of Seuss's widow Audrey Geisel, who served as executive producer of the film and also died on December 19, 2018, five and also a half weeks after the movie's release.
In the town of Whoville, the human-like creatures called Whos are filled with excitement about celebrating Christmas. However, the only one who is not amused is a cantankerous and green-furred creature named the Grinch.
Meanwhile, 6-year-old Cindy Lou Who notices that her mother Donna is overworked trying to take care of herself and her twin baby brothers, Buster and Bean. Initially deciding to send a letter to Santa Claus to help her mother, Cindy encounters the Grinch. He sarcastically tells her that, if the matter is so urgent, she'll have to talk to Santa face-to-face about it. She attempts to go to the North Pole to talk to Santa, but when Donna tells her that it would take a month to travel there, she instead decides to try trapping Santa with the help of her friends.
With Christmas approaching, a bungled attempt by the Grinch to ruin tree-lighting ceremony results in him having a flashback about his childhood spent alone and unwanted in an orphanage. The Grinch soon decides that he will steal Christmas from Whoville to assuage his distress. He acquires a fat reindeer whom he calls Fred and steals a sleigh from his neighbor Mr. Bricklebaum. After a test run, the Grinch discovers that Fred has a family, and agrees to let Fred go home with them
- Benedict Cumberbatch as The Grinch, a bitter, grouchy, cave-dwelling, green creature who hates Christmas.
- Rashida Jones as Donna Who, Cindy Lou's overworked single mother.
- Kenan Thompson as Bricklebaum, a jolly bearded-citizen of Whoville who lives near The Grinch.
- Cameron Seely as Cindy Lou Who, a young resident of Whoville.
- Angela Lansbury as Mayor McGerkle, the elderly Mayor of Whoville.
- Pharrell Williams as the Narrator
- Tristan O'Hare as Groopert, Cindy Lou's best friend.
- Ramone Hamilton as Axl, one of Cindy Lou's friends.
- Sam Lavagnino as Ozzy, one of Cindy Lou's friends.
- Scarlett Estevez as Izzy, one of Cindy Lou's friends.
- Michael Beattie as the Store Clerk
- Georgia Toffolo provided the voice of Mrs. Toffee Apple (a customer who was trying to reach a jar of “Christmas chutney”) in one scene in the UK release. In addition, Townsend Coleman, Jess Harnell, Laraine Newman, Scott Mosier, Mindy Sterling, Tara Strong, and Jim Ward all perform additional voices while an uncredited Pentatonix voice the Who Carolers.
In February 2013, it was announced that Illumination was developing a 3D animated feature movie based on the Dr. Seuss book, with the working title How the Grinch Stole Christmas, later shortened to The Grinch. Peter Candeland and Yarrow Cheney were set to direct, though in 2018 producer Scott Mosier took over from Candeland.
Benedict Cumberbatch was cast as the titular character in April 2016. Illumination originally wanted Cumberbatch to voice the Grinch in his natural accent, however, Cumberbatch felt that since the rest of the cast is American, the Grinch himself should have an American accent. By September 2018, Angela Lansbury had been set to voice the Mayor of Whoville. Rashida Jones, Cameron Seely, and Kenan Thompson also joined the cast, while Pharrell Williams, that had previously worked on Illumination's Despicable Me films, was revealed to be narrating the movie.